Five RESDC Merit Scholarships, as well as the Theo and Evelyn Yakel Scholarships, are awarded annually to eligible immediate family members. We encourage all eligible high school students to apply for both the RESDC and the Yakel Scholarships. It is allowed for an applicant to be awarded both scholarships.
RESDC Merit Scholarship
Status: Currently accepting applications. Deadline is March 2, 2018.
In 2018, RESDC is offering five $2,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors who are immediate family members of a retired RESDC member (pursuant to our existing Bylaws). RESDC Merit Scholarships are intended to provide financial assistance to RESDC members’ immediate family who are outstanding high school seniors planning to attend college.
- Be a graduating high school senior.
- Be an immediate family member of a retired RESDC member. An immediate family member is defined as a child, grandchild, step child, or step grandchild.
- Be of good moral character and have achieved high personal and academic goals including sufficient community service to engender pride in himself/herself, the people who recommend them, and to members of this Granting Association.
To Apply, the Applicant Shall Submit the Following to RESDC:
- A current transcript certified by an authorized school official.
- Two adult references that address the questions on the Reference Report form (see application for form). Ensure references provide their name, address, and phone number. Reference Reports from the Nominating Member or other relatives are not acceptable.
- The completed RESDC Merit Scholarship Application, signed by the applicant.
- The applicant’s personal statement, signed by the applicant.
Please enclose only the required items. Adding irrelevant/non-essential documents does not enhance the applicant’s possibility of being selected.
Applicants will be judged on their statement, all-around academic record, and school and community service.
The deadline is Friday, March 2, 2018. We are unable to accept applications postmarked after that date. We suggest you start this process early and coordinate your references. In the past, we have had to disqualify applications for lack of references. Applicants will be notified of the results by the end of June, 2018. For questions about the RESDC Merit Scholarship, contact the RESDC Office at (619) 688-9229 or email@example.com.
Theo and Evelyn Yakel Scholarship
Status: Currently closed. Will open for applications in December 2018.
The Theo and Evelyn Yakel Scholarships are available from the Yakel Scholarship Fund through the San Diego Foundation. The scholarship must be used for tuition, books, or fees.
- Be a child, grandchild or great-grandchild of a RESDC member
- Be a high school senior
- Be an American citizen
- Plan to attend a two-year or four-year college in the United States
The application period closed on February 1, 2018; applicants will be notified about whether they are recipients of the Yakel Scholarship by June 1, 2018. This scholarship is announced annually in the December NETWORK. For further information about this scholarship, visit the San Diego Foundation website or call the San Diego Foundation at (619) 814-1343.
PLEASE NOTE: All eligible high school seniors are encouraged to apply for both the RESDC and the Yakel Scholarships. It is allowed for an applicant to be awarded both scholarships. Good luck to all!